"On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does not one believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, making up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning. It is madness to wear ladies hats and straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. For the sleeping god may wake someday and take offense, or the waking god may draw us out to where we can never return." - Annie Dillard, Teaching a Stone to Talk

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gratitude for a Great Guy

Thank you…..

    -for loving me unconditionally and not caring if I had smelly breath, unshaven legs, or a big stomach. In the midst of every stage of plainness or ugliness, you proclaimed me beautiful. That is     grace.

    -for serving me with frequent dinners, sporadic breakfasts, and almost daily espresso coffee. I was well fed and nourished. The surest way to my heart was through my stomach.

    -for honoring my body and my spirit by setting physical boundaries of intimacy in our relationship. Thanks for respecting both us when I sometimes didn't like it. I was able to wake up each morning     proud and pure of heart.

    -for introducing me to authentic, spiritual community. In the midst of believing that my past experiences made me "unworthy" of ministry, I was embraced by people who cared for my     background and who desired to use my talents for God's kingdom. I had a new spiritual family.

    -for taking care of the oil in my car, carrying any heavy bags that I had at the moment, vacuuming my home, and cleaning up my dog's frequent messes. Each seemingly menial task declared your     care for me and caused my love for you to expand. To date, the only male who had served me in this way was my Father.

    -for extending the love of God to everyone around you, even when I thought they were too weird or odd to "deserve" your time and care. Thanks for humbling me by your actions towards     others.

    -for being an important part of my healing journey in the aftermath of my divorce. After experiencing incredible rejection and neglect, you renewed my faith in men. I have never been treated     with so much purity, respect, and honor. Thank you for cherishing me a precious object of God. This, in turn, has helped me to see that beauty in myself again and to strive for emotional and     spiritual health.

    -for your crazy personality and fun-loving nature. You brought laughter back into my life and an appreciation for the delicate art of the Scrabble game and crossword puzzles. My world has been     expanded after a season of hiding.

    -for assisting me with the excruciating task of vulnerability, encouraging me to share my inmost thoughts and feelings. Your safe haven gave me the freedom to explore and express my heart.

Great guy, thank you for honoring my life through your Christ-like character, and for seeing things in me that I thought were destroyed and forever broken. I am stronger, more courageous, and more aware of love because of our time together. Thanks for being you!

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful and I am happy you found a man so honorable and encouraging. I'm glad you are beginning to see yourself again for who you really are!

    ReplyDelete